Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Alternate Youniverse...


So there was this time about two or so months ago when I moved my happy go lucky behind up to the ever fabulous and always interesting New York City, and since then my life has been fucking awesome.

After another productive day of job hunting (even being unemployed here is fun!), I found myself walking to the 14th Street/Union Square subway station. Now let me explain something to you. Union Square is quickly becoming one of my favorite places in the city. Art fairs, farmer’s markets, random crack addicts playing chess, student films being made, prettiness, awesome bookshops…the list of what this place offers grows every time I visit. And today we’ll be adding one more thing to that list of sweetness.

Walking around the island that is Union Square, I noticed the distinct curved crowd of people that screams something ridiculous is happening right here and now. You know the crowd of which I speak. We’ve all seen it in elementary and middle school…that circle of people means that shit is going down.

On August 18th, 2012, I have seen my grown up alternate universe self. This was no doppelganger. This was not future me (holy shitballs, I hope not). But I felt an intimate connection with this crazy man. Imagine for a moment an olderish white guy with long messy hair and a beard of hippy proportions. Now imagine him in a green speedo with a child’s plastic armor chest plate and a pink bra on his head.

You know what…I’ll just show you.






This crazy cool cat was metal band screaming nonsense to the usually conflicting beat of his two drummers. He danced around like a lunatic and tossed his what looks like dumpster dived shit all over the place. And he was a badass about it. I was there for at least 20 minutes, and he was nonstop energy.

Of course when he got close, we both rocked that shit out. How could I not dance with my mentally cracked self from another universe? You’d do it, too!

All of this is to say, I regret nothing about my move to New York. Shit like this happens every single day, and my life is better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment